Retail & Entertainment
24x7 Absence Management Service
Our client is one of Australia’s leading consumer entertainment organisations in Australia. Within 12 months, Direct Health Solutions (DHS) absence management service assisted the organisation to reduce absenteeism by 20% and positively impact operations and workforce culture.
Like its industry peers, the company experiences high absenteeism resulting largely from shift work, demanding work roles and ongoing customer interactions. These factors, combined with organisational change and the workload of managing absenteeism and cost of unplanned leave, led to a strategic review of the company’s existing absence management approach.
The business engaged DHS in 2017 to design The Fit-For-Work Line. The aim of the program was to streamline organisational processes and systems, better equip managers with more effective ways of operating, and gain greater transparency over absence performance.
“The implementation of the DHS AbsenceAssist service has been one of the best initiatives we have ever introduced. DHS delivered a solution that removed the noise and workload of managing absenteeism, tailored reporting, management training and employee support that has improved the health and wellbeing of our workforce” (GM Gaming Operations)
In July 2017, The Fit-For-Work Line was implemented and offered to gaming employees. The program aimed to provide:
- A centralised absence reporting and wellbeing line offering a single point of contact 24x7x365 for all absenteeism
- Deployment of AbsenceTrack reporting providing notifications and accurate absence data to line managers and HR
- Real-time absence monitoring and absence trigger alerts to escalate chronic cases
- Return to work interview training and online recording to ensure effective management compliance
- Absence data analytics, and business intelligence identifying patterns, trends and strategies to support higher attendance, and employee health and wellbeing
- Ongoing program management and management consulting to achieve sustainable absence reductions and improved employee engagement and wellbeing
We are proud to report that The Fit-For-Work Line is now a fundamental part of business operations. The program has resulted in:
- A 20% absence reduction in 12 months
- Significant reduction in line manager administration
- Increased manager engagement in positively managing employee absenteeism
- Access to reliable absence reporting for HR and front line leaders, on demand, 24×7
- Early intervention and employee wellbeing support has improved through the provision of 24×7 health advice
- Smoother operational environment, with the process allowing for better resource planning and optimisation
The program has delivered a streamlined and consistent approach to managing absence across the organisation. There is greater transparency and easy access to real-time data on absence levels, reasons, hotspots and patterns, management activity, and more. Due to the success of the program, the company and DHS are co-collaborating on a number of IT integration projects to further streamline leave and roster management.
Additional benefits of the program cover:
- Custom suite of push reporting and people leader score cards
- Significant reduction in administration time for people leaders/workforce planners
- More open and engaging communication between people leaders and employees
- Early identification and intervention of complex cases and referral to HR for support
- A rigorous trigger escalation process from the frontline to the Executive General Manager